Thursday, February 9, 2012
Raspberry Cream Cheese Heart Tarts
The way to your loved ones’ hearts is through their stomachs. These delicious raspberry cream cheese heart tarts are guaranteed to please everyone from hubby to the wee ones. The best part? The icing has been made from raspberry juice, not artificial red food coloring!
(Makes 10-11 Heart Tarts)
½ Cup Raspberries
¼ Cup Whipped Cream Cheese
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Double Pie Crust Recipe or 1-14 oz Pre-Made Pie Crust*
1 ½ Cup Powdered Sugar
10 Raspberries for Icing or 2 Tbsp Juiced Raspberries
1 Tbsp Milk or Water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the raspberries and cream cheese in a bowl and using the back of a fork, mash the raspberries with the cream cheese, leaving some pieces.
3. Roll the pie crust 1/4 inch thick and using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts. (If you are using packaged pie crust just unroll and cut out shapes)
4. Place one heart on a lightly floured work surface and top with 2 tsp of thecream cheese mixture in the very center leaving a ¼ inch border around the cut-out.
5. Lightly dip your index finger into a cup of water and “brush” the border with the water.
6. Top with another heart, take the tines of a fork and gently press down the edges to adhere (so the cream cheese mixture stays inside the heart pocket) and with a toothpick, poke some holes at the top of the heart to remove any airpockets.
7. Place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
8. While the hearts are baking, take 10 raspberries, place in a strainer and press down to release raspberry juice into a bowl, should be about 2 tbsp of juice.
9. Whisk in the milk and slowly pour in the powdered sugar and stir to make icing.
10. Take a fork and drizzle the raspberry icing over the hearts.
*You can use Pillsbury Pie Crusts
**You may also fill the tarts with 2 Tsp of Nutella
Recipe courtesy of Louisville’s own Catherine McCord of weelicious.